Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How to Clean Your Brain...

....and by brain I mean Keurig. Seriously. I don't know how I lived without my Keurig. When I got her (yes, she's a she) two years ago I was so excited about her one of my assistants at work sent out a baby announcement. Keurig lived in my classroom up until I went on Maternity leave with the Bug.

Seriously. Best.Thing. Ever.

The past few weeks my Keurig has developed a mind of her own. Sometimes I'd get 4 ounces, other times 9 ounces...It seemed to just depend on her mood. The past few times it was only 4 or 5 ounces (even though I hit the "mega cup" button.) That just wasn't going to work for me. I'm lucky I can get once cup. I need it to LAST. She also seemed to develop an incontinence issue, so I figured something needed addressed.

Then I realized that I have yet to EVER clean my Keurig. EVER.

No good.

Cleaning the Keurig is super easy and while it takes some time, it works great again! (If you don't have an infant that wants to be held 24/7 then I'm sure it's a fast process....infant makes everything take longer. Except for sleep...that is shorter.)

You only need one thing. White Vinegar. I used about 48 ounces.


Fill up the reservoir with the white vinegar and then just keep running it through. I had it go into a glass measuring cup so I could see if it was helping. (It did.) One downside to cleaning your Keurig is the smell. It smells like salt and vinegar chips, and while that's not a bad thing, it made me hungry.

OH MY DEAR LORD- This the outside of this thing is dirty! Eww. 
After you finish running all the vinegar through, you will now need to run water. I ended up filling the reservoir three times and flushing the system because I wasn't looking forward to vinegar flavoring to my coffee. I prefer Sugar Free Almond.

One last thing is to pop out the part that holds the K-cup. Make sure you're careful because there is a needle in there! Put your finger over where the coffee comes out and push up. It should just pop out. Then give that bad boy a good scrubbing. There really isn't any reason to stick your finger in there, but if you do, that needle is SHARP. (Don't ask me how I know that.)

I "think" somewhere it says to do this every 6 months...I'm sure I'll do it again in two years. If you want "real" directions (aka, NOT my ramblings) click on this ----> Directions

No comments:

Post a Comment