Saturday, November 16, 2013

If a Tree Falls in the Forest...

A few things. I am 99% sure that this blog is going to turn into this.

Either A.  It snowed a !@#$ ton. We shoveled it.

or     B.  It is so dark out I think I'm going crazy.

or a combination of both. Okay...it's not that bad, but the snowstorms can stop any day now.

After our snow storm on Wednesday, we all went to bed dreaming of snow plows, heated driveways, and colder temps (so no freezing rain.) Okay. That's a lie. My husband loves the snow. I do too, I DO NOT love shoveling it when it weighs 834 pounds. NOT AT ALL. Not that he does either....but seriously. A nice plow or snow blower? Sigh. I can dream.

Sometime in the night I woke up because I was pretty positive that a freight train was about to hit our house. That's when I noticed we had no power. I have no clue what time it was, but I'm going to say around 1am, based on other peoples tails of the night. I kept hearing the trees snapping and two VERY LOUD cracks and thuds.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a noise? YES. Yes it does.

I was very grateful that Bug's bed is no where near a window. I laid there for a while trying to figure out if my husband's truck was going to be there in the morning or if it was going to have a tree on top of it.

When we got up in the morning no power, which means no heat. Not a huge deal, especially since we have a furnace. Luckily we got power back around 10:30 Thursday morning. There are still people in Fairbanks without power.

Today Bug and I ventured out for the first time since Tuesday. I was going stir crazy (which is different from my normal crazy.) A friend of mine asked me to text her and let her know how the roads are after we got to town.

The funny thing was, I didn't know if they were good or not. They were shiny, and snow covered, but based on the fact that everyone was going over the speed limit, I'm going to take a guess and say they were "good?" I got honked at today for the first time for going the speed limit. Apparently, I wasn't fast enough. Jerks.

I would like so say I have terrible road rage. I have terrible passive aggressive road rage. I would never actually do anything in fear of being shot, but MAN do I think nasty thoughts in my head and give icy glares. Sometimes I'll even NOT let someone in just because they were a jerk. Sometimes.

In other news, still playing Santa's secretary.  I'm having a TON of fun writing kids letters from Santa, but
O-M-G I have issues with being a perfectionist. If the letter didn't look "Santa-y" (that's a word, right?) I would start over. I sat down tonight and wrote out all "orders" that I had, then check my list (twice.) Poor Santa. I got flustered and worried over 10 letters. Imagine what HE goes through!

Now for your viewing pleasure. The storm "damage" - aka tree limbs in our yard. Can't complain about trees to pick up. I said an extra prayer for the Philippines that night. I couldn't imagine!  I've given them all artistic titles...why? Because it's past midnight...I just spent two hours writing letters...and I can. :) Let me know if you want a print. :) I can charge an exorbitant amount, right?


Tree Limbs in Snow Drift

Tree Down Next To Power

Tree Parts in Snow

More Tree Parts in Snow

Tree Down ON MY RHUBARB!! 


No, not storm debris, but it is a masterpiece! I post photos all the time of things I cook. I figured I'd share one of my husband's pizzas. It was AMAZING! He made the sausage on Saturday. I could have sat down and ate the entire thing. Stupid Weight Watchers and their stupid points. ;)

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the post tremendously. Or should i say "tree-mendously". I'm curious what kind of furnace you have which doesn't require power. I'm guessing oil or gas.But those usually have electrical control systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND by furnace I mean wood burner! I wrote this at midnight...my brain wasn't working!

      Delete
  2. Recently found your blog through "I Like Beer and Babies." So interesting to hear what it's really like to live in Alaska. If I had the money, I would send you enough for a snowblower! I can't imagine having to shovel all that snow--all---the---time!! We live in New England and get our fair share, but at least our "days," even in the middle of winter, are longer. Glad you have Bug and a sweet husband (who can make a darn-good-looking pizza.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I comment on I Like Beer and Babies? (Coincidentally, I do like both!) I'm always curious as to how people find me.The shoveling SUCKS. Thank you SO much for finding us...me! Hope you stick around!

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you could find a place to live where you would lose your power even more than you did on top of our wonderful hill.....I'm amazed! I love how you seem to be embrassing everything Alaska throws your way!

    The pizza looks delicious too by the way...what a great husband you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my mom said! She said at least it wasn't 10 days (wasn't that what it was?) I still remember that.

      Delete