Monday, May 19, 2014

Water container

Instead of spending my weekend in 105° and sun I got to spend the weekend with 44° and overcast skies. 

Not quite the weekend I had planned and I am still disappointed that I couldn't go to Vegas. That being said no way I would never leave a sick Bug.  I also realize it could always be worse.

Saturday my husband and I took the large container I found the transfer station and turn it into a water holding system. It was super simple. 

I post the photo on Facebook of the container and it turns out it holds the salt pellets for a water softening system. I took the container to the car wash and clean the inside of it really well. I also got my own shower in the meantime. 




I stop by the hardware store my way home and pick up the supplies. When I got home I had my husband help me because I was afraid to ruin it and only had one container. 

We first decide where to put the spout and I drew a hole. My husband uses spoon bit I  picked up and drilled the hole for me. It wasn't something I wanted to make a mistake on. 

After the hole was drilled and cleaned up a bit, we got the parts and installed the housing and the spout.

Like my nice nails? Practical for Vegas, not so much for all my yardwork. 






 The seal was so tight we didn't even need to use silicone. The whole project took about 15 minutes, and cost around $30 including the car wash. 

We do not have gutters so I want to haul water to the container. Not excited about that, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay for water that we have hauled to the house. I can go get the water for free at a well about 5 miles from the house I'll just fill little containers and then go back and load this. Sounds like a lot of work but it's free. I like free. 




The garden beds are all prepped and ready to put plants in the next few weeks is still too cold. I also need to build a Moose fence due to recent visitors. Going try to get that done before put the plants in.


1 comment:

  1. Despite the fact that you guys made this on your own, I think it looks pretty reliable. Water tanks are very useful, and it’s great that you decided on having one. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. Have a great day!


    Bert Aguilar @ Rain Fill Tanks

    ReplyDelete